Friday, March 19, 2010

Ubuntu giving problem when installed in Thumb Drive


Hi friends, I had faces a strange situation couple of days before, i am having XP operating system in my Laptop and I tried to install Ubuntu in my thumb drive, after being done with the task i found a strange problem. My PC needs thumb drive plugged in every time when i want to boot it. That was quite irritating, and if suppose any problem comes then your pc will not get booted and at last you need to upgrade your OS and that's the think i don't like to do.

I searched a lot in the web and found a simple solution of it. The Thing that had happened was quite obvious, as i installed Ubuntu after my Xp, Ubuntu now had moved MBR (Memory Boot Record) to the thumb drive and that was creating all the problem. at the booting process laptop was always searching the MBR in thumb drive and when i kept thumb drive unplugged it was showing error. the thing i had to do was to set the MBR of Windows XP.

This can be done very easily, you just need to boot your pc with Windows Xp CD and after going into recovery console type the following command:

fixmbr

this will surely help you out with your problem.

get more information about MBR from Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

PayPal

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.